Re: [IMP-dev] units

Daniel Russel wrote:
As I was running in to issues converting units for handling various bits of data I wrote some classes to help. I have one class for MKS units and one for the KCal/Mol/Angstrom sorts of units that MD expects. And methods to handle conversions between the two. Using them you can write things like PicoJoules(1)/Meter(2) and get something with the right units out and then call convert_to_kcal to convert it to the MD units. Perhaps the latter unit should be called MDUnit or something.

I have no particular problem with any of this, except that the comments (not sure about the code though) seem rather confused about many of the units. I don't know what KCal and Mol are, for example - these should be kcal and mol, of course. And there are far better sources for fundamental constants than Wikipedia!

It is written as C++ template classes but specific units can probably be exposed to python. However I think Scientific Python already includes this sort of thing, so it is probably not very useful.

Indeed. Certainly MMTK does.

Assuming a cleaned-up version of this patch is available, and nobody has further comments/suggestions, I can commit it later tomorrow.

	Ben
--
                      http://salilab.org/~ben/
	- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle