Re: [IMP-dev] Residue number vs residue index

On 5/3/11 5:02 PM, Daniel Russel wrote:
1 Residue index is sequential; you are (pretty much) guaranteed
that residue(our index+1) is the next residue and residue(0) is the
first residue in a chain.
We don't have any explicit storage of this in IMP other than a
Residue being the ith child of a Chain.

Ah yes, you're absolutely right, of course. It was the child indices I was thinking of.

Currently this "PDB residue number" is what is called "residue index"
in IMP. The insertion code is stored separately and not many
operations support it as no one has cared. One can always add
insertion code support to Selections and such when there is demand.

Makes sense. In that case it should be made clear to the user that the residue number/index is not unique, since it is a common mistake to assume it is. (I guess we should mention that we don't enforce that the (residue number, insertion code) tuple is unique within a chain.)

	Ben
--
                      http://salilab.org/~ben/
	- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle