Re: Post-modeller refinement

Hi,

When the input alignment is correct, it is very rare to find
stereochemical
violations in models built by the default modeller optimization,
especially when more than one model is built (say 20) and the best one
is evaluated. Violations usually happen in those regions of a model that
have mutually inconsistent restraints applied to them (eg, because of an
incorrect alignment (especially when more than one template is used),
because of some other user mistake, or a bug in the program). Also, how
large are the violations - are they really serious (eg, > 5 standard
deviations)?

If one is not certain about the alignment in the problematic region, I
suggest changing it to other reasonable possibilities, especially if
more than one template is used.

MD refinement, in solvent or in vacuo, in general increases the RMS
error of a model (see the F. Cohen et al. review of CASP2 in Folding and
Design, 1997; or the Janet Thornton review in the CASP2 Proteins
supplement 1998). This of course does not mean that it is not useful to
do sometimes, ;-)

Best, Andrej

--
Andrej Sali, Assistant Professor
The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021-6399