Re: Confused about versions!

Dear MODELLER users,

I guess we did create a little bit of confusion. I hope this will
clarify it:

MODELLER 5o is the latest MSI, commercial version of MODELLER. MSI
generally only adds the license checking code to MODELLER and does not
remove any functionality. So the MSI version can be run as a standalone
program using the TOP scripts, not only from the InsightII or QUANTA
interface. At the moment, the latest MSI version is 5o, given to MSI in
the summer of 1998 and released by MSI in early 1999 (there were
internally versions 5a, 5b, ...). The latest released academic version
is 4. The reasons for us not releasing an academic version 5 include my
desire to finish and change a number of things before releasing a new
academic version. MSI, on the other hand, simply wanted to have the
latest MODELLER when the time came to have a new InsightII/QUANTA
version. It took us longer to do what we wanted because we were focusing
on genome scale modeling aspects, not on modeling of the individual
proteins. But, we will be releasing the academic MODELLER within two or
three months from now. We will call it release 6, so there won't be an
academic release 5. It still needs some work on the manual and a few
relatively small optimizations ...

Best wishes and thank you for using MODELLER, Andrej

--
Andrej Sali, Assistant Professor
The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021-6399