Re: phi/psi distribution in alpha region

Dear Richard,

at first, I would like to call your and others attention  that in a recent
issue of Prot. Sci. we published a detailed methodological paper about
incorporating an  ab initio loop modeling  method into  MODELLER. The paper
touches on many methodological aspects of MODELLER, discussing new
developments.

Fiser et al. Prot Sci 2000,9,1753-1773
http://www3.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?db=0&form=1&term=fiser

For instance,  regarding your question:
the original dihedral angle preferences were derived (year ~1993) on a small
set of proteins (~100), using only 3 different definition of Ramachandran map
for the 20 residues regarding the 5 main conformational classes. The observed
frequencies were approximated by normal gaussian distributions.  In the present
paper we describe  that the set of proteins was  updated and increased by 10
fold (~1000 proteins), now each residue type has its own individually designed
conformational preference regions on the Ramachandran map, which is defined by
5x5 degrees, and the distributions are approximated by a more realistic
binormal gaussian fitting.
The details of this library, including the calculated deviation values that you
asked for,  can be found in $MODELLER/modlib/mnch.lib. You can edit this file
and probably  influence the shape of the distribution.

However, in case of modeling, if a highly similar template is present, the
fi-psi preferences will be  dominantly inherited from the available template
and the role of the statistical observations are suppressed. The physically
meaningful angles within each conformational preference region are ensured by
the terms of the CHARMM  potential function. The final conformation will depend
on all the other restraints as well.

I looked at a few models, and i also saw an obvious high density around the
most typical -60,-40 peak, and can agree that it is more regular than certain
x-ray structures although in a well refined structure >90 % of the helical
angles will also massively fall into this region.

As I mentioned if you find the distributions too tight you might try to modify
the weights in mnch.lib, but  it will not necessarily effect the distribution
of fi-psi's in the calculated models.

You can see in the file e.g. that  Pro sigma values are around 8-13 degrees,
which  looks usual. Accidently a 3 dimensional plot about the Pro fi psi
distribution i sincluded in the article, regarding both the observed
frequencies and the fitted functions.

best regards,

Andras

--
    ,
Andras Fiser, PhD            # phone: (212) 327 7216