Re: [modeller_usage] Amino acid Isomers

On 2/2/10 8:25 AM, abdullah ahmed wrote:
My question is related to optimization. I increased the default
optimization in "model-full.py" using the following code:

# High VTFM optimization:
a.library_schedule = autosched.slow
a.max_var_iterations = 5000

Optimization does occur, however a few amino acids are changed from
their L-isomeric forms to the D-isomers.

Modeller contains a full description of the topology of the standard amino acids; the internal coordinates of these amino acids are for the L-isomers, so it will not produce D forms by default. However, since every optimization starts with a randomization, it is possible that that randomization produced a D-like residue which the optimizer is then unable to recover from, since it's a local minimum. This can happen at any optimization level.

The solution for problems like these is generally to build multiple models and then detect and discard "bad" models using the Modeller scoring function or an assessment score.