From: [mailto:]On Behalf Of Will Rosellini
Sent: 16 February 2005 16:58
Subject: RE: [TDI-discuss] let's talk about the barriers

Well Sourceforge/software development is certainly applicable to the development of tools for bioinformatics purposes, but bioinformatics hasn't really solved any problems as it relates to disease, there still is a wet lab component.  So the question remains how does drug development occur in a virtual environment.  Let's say I had just done a clustering algorithm on phylogenetic profiles across 82 genomes.  I had the clustering data, I had my experiment algorithm and method but now I need help in deciding what and how to both store that information in a meaningful way and then access additional information that in combination with my results could be useful.  So let's say we wanted to focus on a particular tropical disease and it is commonly known the series of genes, both regulating and protein coding.  How do we collaborate further to design a drug?

-Will