The cluster runs an "enterprise" Linux distribution. This has the benefit of providing a stable base for development and any necessary commercial packages. However, it does result in core software components not getting the benefits of version upgrades. To remedy this, our upstream vendor has created Software Collections. These are updated versions of some of the main software packages which can be installed alongside the base versions. They may provide new features and optimizations while not disturbing the core of the distribution.
The cluster has the following Software Collections installed. To run any one of them, the user must first enable the relevant Software Collection and then run their command:
- Python 2.7
- scl enable python27 'python file.py'
- Python 3.3
- scl enable python33 'python file.py'
- Python 3.4
- scl enable rh-python34 'python file.py'
- Python 3.6
- scl enable rh-python36 'python file.py'
- Perl 5.16
- scl enable perl516 'perl file.pl'
- Developer Toolset 4, including gcc 5.2.1
- scl enable devtoolset-4 bash
- Developer Toolset 6, including gcc 6.2.1
- scl enable devtoolset-6 bash
- Developer Toolset 7, including gcc 7.2.1
- scl enable devtoolset-7 bash