Re: Advice on heteroatoms, metals and water

Hi!

Thank you for this information. In fact, I was hoping that Modeller had some
forcefields hidden somewhere in the depth of its code to do loop modelling
around  Ca2+ binding sites. The real problem is not to place the Ca2+, but to
have all the oxygens of the different side chains point its way. My templates
are not close enough to get this right, and I have even one case where the
Ca-binding site is only present in the target.

In parallel, I try to get the sidechains in place using Amber, but modelling a
Ca2+ binding site seems not to be a standard procedure (although this should
occur quite often). Another problem with Amber is that I would have to keep
the rest of my protein restrained (otherwise my structure would drift away
from its crystall-structure status by completely resolving it in water - but
I want to use the model for protein crystal structure building later). So the
choice of these restrains turns out to be quite tricky as well.

So I am still wondering whether it would not be possible to teach MODELLER how
to model a Ca2+ in its loop refinement algorithm. If someone could give me
some technical advice on how to do this (or where to find more specific
documentation) I would be very grateful.

Kind regards, Karsten.

--
Karsten Suhre
Charge de Recherche CNRS (Research Scientist)