Re: Fwd: Help for "Sequence difference between alignment and pdb"

Hi

more and more new structures are solved using seleno-Met replacements (like your
one as well.)

These Se-Mets become heteroatoms in the PDB structure (HETATM).

Your choices:
1- "set HETATM_IO= on" in modeller top file and select the protein segment only
(1-150) if you would like to avoid water and other possible ligands (e.g. EGL in
your case) listed after the protein seq in the PDB file. In the sequence you
would use "." for se-METs.

2- replace HETATM records with ATOM records in the PDB file and introduce MSE as
a new residue type (see manual FAQ section for details, which library files to
edit for this, restyp.lib, top_heav.lib etc).

3- do not do anything with the PDB and top files, just leave out Se-MET
positions.  (I.e. In your sequence alignment these will be  gaps in your
template seq). Met residues will be built in your target with more uncertainty
because no template residue/atoms will be available in those positions.

approach 3 is the quickest but relatively least accurate. Approach 2 is the
biggest hassle but most exact. Approach 1 is in between the previous two in all
regards.

Best wishes,
Andras Fiser

--
Andras Fiser, PhD, assistant professor
Dept. of Biochemistry & Seaver Center for Bioinformatics