Re: [modeller_usage] fix_offsets to align certain residues

 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to use fix_offsets with align2d.  Please follow this example, based on
the salign() example (under the 'Alignments using external restraints subsection') in the manual.

See the example input alignment examples/salign/fix_positions.ali

Like the documentation says, the final pseudo sequence '_fix_pos' can contain 5 'residue' types: 0 through 4 (blanks are treated as 0). The alignment matrix is offset (i.e. an alignment at that position is made more favorable) if you put in a non-zero integer.

So I want something that would _probably_ look like this:
 _aln.pos         10
1abc FGAVAFATTT 1def AVA--FATTT _consrvd ********
The only thing that matters is that the first A in 1abc is forced to align with the 2nd A in 1def.

How do I get these particular Ala residues to be forced to align using _fix_pos input in the
alignment file? Specifically, what would I need to put in place of the zeros below?

P1;_fix_pos

sequence:x: :: :: : :-1.00:-1.00
0000000000*

Just construct your input alignment such that it has the desired A-A alignment in the third column, and then put 4 in the third column of the _fix_pos sequence.