Re: [modeller_usage] Protein + Metal Ion

Anshul Awasthi wrote:
I am trying to model the structure of a protein that contains Zn ion in the active site, using modeller 7v7. For the modeling purpose I am using 5 templates and one of them contains 2 His residues coordinated with Zn ion, and these residues are conserved among all the templates and the target sequence.

I suggest that you use the latest version, Modeller 8v2, instead. Not only does it incorporate a number of bug fixes, but it gives more informative diagnostics for problems like this one. It will read old TOP scripts just fine, provided they have the .top file extension.

I have put /z* at the end of the alignment file as follows:

P1;1WVR
structureX:1WVR:   9 :A: 181 :::::
PRKPEIQNEIIDLHNSLRRSVN------------PTASNMLKMEWYPEAAANAERWAYRCIESHSSRDSRVIGG-
---IKCGENIYMAT-----YPAKWTDIIHAWHGEYKDFKYGVGAVPSD----AVIGHYTQIVWYKSYRAGCAAAY
CPSSKYS------YFYVCQYCPAGNIIGKTATPYKSGPPCGDCP-SD-C-DN--GLCTN/z/*

The final / is unnecessary here, since nothing follows the ion.

But when I run the modeller i get an error message stating "SEQUENCE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALIGNMENT AND PDB "

rdabrk__291E> Sequence difference between alignment and  pdb :

STRUCTURE RES_IND  ALN_ITYP  ALN_RES  X_ITYP  X_RES  -----*-----
2 174 30 ZN2 24 UNK GLCTNz

Your PDB file appears to have an UNK residue rather than a Zn atom here. It's hard to say what your problem might be, as I'm guessing your PDB is modified from code 1wvr (since the A chain continues to residue 221, and the ion is cadmium, not zinc).

If your problem continues, send me your full input files, and I'll take a look.