Re: [modeller_usage] Averaged RMSD for 100 models

Robert Selwyne wrote:
I had run MODELLER to produced model 1-100.pdb (100 models) of same acid sequence but different energy values. Now, i want to calculate the RMSD values for the models. I know that SUPERPOSE will do for me. But i couldnot correlate and implement the results.

You can align multiple structures with alignment.compare_structures() (see http://salilab.org/modeller/manual/node193.html), alignment.malign3d() (see http://salilab.org/modeller/manual/node195.html) or alignment.salign().

Say in VMD 1.8.4 in the RMSD calculator option, if *Average* is selected, VMD first computes the average x, y, z coordinates of the selected atoms in each molecule, then computes the RMS distance of each molecule from that average structure.

This is essentially the same algorithm used by alignment.malign3d(). See the manual linked above.

There is an example in examples/commands/malign3d.py. If you are using automodel to build your models, you can ask it to automatically align the generated models and calculate many properties, including the RMS, by setting final_malign3d to True. See examples/automodel/model-fast.py for an example.