[modeller_usage] How to calculate amino acid similarity and identity

Modeller Users Group,

        I have two protein sequences.  They have already been aligned and the lengths
are identical .  I have a few gaps in the alignment.

        How do I calculate the percent similarity or percent identity between the two sequences.
I know I need to use something like the BLOSUM50 or some other substitution matrix (for similarity).

        How exactly do I do the math so that I end up saying "protein A and protein B
are 70 % similar and 40 % identical".

        Please note - I want to know how to do the math, step-by-step.  I am not interested
in using a computer program at this point, even if it is free, because I want to write my own
code, once I understand how to do the math.

        I have looked in several books, looked all over the Internet, BioPERL, etc, but
I can not find a clear step-by-step explanation of how to do the math.

        I would be most grateful if someone knowledgeable could explain this.

        Thank you,
        Jim Metz

James T. Metz, Ph.D.
Research Investigator Chemist

GPRD R46Y AP10-2
Abbott Laboratories
100 Abbott Park Road
Abbott Park, IL  60064-6100
U.S.A.

Office (847) 936 - 0441
FAX    (847) 935 - 0548

This communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, use, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Anyone who receives this message in error should notify the sender immediately by telephone or return email and delete it from his or her computer.