From: Francesco Pietra <>
Date: Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 10:33 AM
Subject: Fwd: (My) problems with BLK
To: modeller <>

I succeeded in defining chloride anion as a real residue. Modeller run
without errors. However, I set arbitrary values (2.50A) for the terms
"long range and 1-4 non-bonded soft-sphere terms". I was unable to
find such terms for any single-atom anion. Also I was perplexed to see
1.90-1.95A for sodium ion and 0.72A for Mg++; why such a big
difference?. Do you know such values for single-atom anions, in
particular chloride? Or the original work dealing (and showing) how to
compute such terms. I am equipped for ab initio calculations, if
needed.

I understand that BLK usage (where I was unsuccessful, as reported on
my previous mail) would be enough in this case. But I am curious to
test, if not else to learn how to deal with real non-standdard
residues.

I asked about such ten terms on the CHARMM forum. The moderator
refused to answer the question for non-CHARMM use and made also
comments - to this respect - that it is better to forget.

Thanks
francesco