Re: [modeller_usage] Using modeller with a web form: how topass the provided key to modeller?

Stéphane Téletchéa wrote:
> I'm planning to provide models from carefully validated alignments and
> in order to provide this tool, i would like to allow users to access to
> the full model, and produce new ones using my methodology, from a web
> server.
>
> According to the policy, http://salilab.org/modeller/FAQ.html#18, i must
> use a form and use this key for launching modeller (i totally agree with
> this).
>
> However, how can i use this license?

In both cases, the behavior is the same (even though it may not look
like it). The Modeller license key is by default set in
modlib/modeller/config.py. If you *don't* set it in that file, Modeller
will next look for it in the KEY_MODELLERxxx (where xxx is the Modeller
version, e.g. 9v6) environment variable before giving up.

In other words, if you set the license key to *anything* (even XXX) in
config.py, it will be used rather than the environment variable, even if
it's the "wrong" key. So in your case the simple solution should be to
edit the modlib/modeller/config.py file after you install Modeller and
completely delete the line that sets the license. Then whatever you set
in the KEY_MODELLERxxx environment variable will be used.

I will update the FAQ accordingly - thanks for bringing this to my
attention.