Re: [modeller_usage] ubuntu installation with python 2.6

Knut J Bjuland wrote:
I have install modeller by following the instruction. An I symlink to /usr/lib/python2.6/site-package. Is there any thing else I might have forgotten to symlink

It's hard to say, because you didn't say *what* you symlinked to /usr/lib/python2.6/site-package! The first thing to check is that Python is actually looking in the directories you think it is for modules. Run "python" from the command line, then at the prompt type

import sys
sys.path

Make sure that /usr/lib/python2.6/site-package is in that list of directories that is returned. (On my system it is called site-packages, not site-package, and it is under /usr/lib64, not /usr/lib.)

Once you are sure the directory is correct, you'll need to make sure the symlinks are correct. Let's say you installed Modeller in /opt/modeller; then that site-package directory should contain two symlinks, one called "modeller" that points to the /opt/modeller/modlib/modeller directory, and another called _modeller.so that points to /opt/modeller/lib/<ARCH>/_modeller.so, where <ARCH> is your machine's architecture, for example i386-intel8 or x86_64-intel8. Finally you will need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /opt/modeller/lib/<ARCH>/ so that the system is able to find the other libraries in that directory that _modeller.so needs.

Note that on Ubuntu systems it may be easier to use the RPM package instead, which handles the symlinks for you. It is simply necessary to use the 'alien' program first to convert the RPM package into a DEB package which Ubuntu will understand.