Re: [modeller_usage] Installation in Ubuntu

Dinesh wrote:
*I am trying to install Modeller in in Ubuntu 9.10 with the alien command and I get the below errors:*
chown: cannot access `modeller-9v7//usr/lib/modeller9v7/modlib/modeller/config.py': No such file or directory failed chowning /usr/lib/modeller9v7/modlib/modeller/config.py to 0:0: Illegal seek at /usr/share/perl5/Alien/Package/Rpm.pm line 265, <GETPERMS> line 104

This is odd - I know that RPM installs on Ubuntu with alien used to work, because many have people have done it. But this is the second report of problems with Ubuntu I've seen in two days, which leads me to suspect a bug in the alien package there.

As Robert already suggested, you can install using the .tar.gz installer instead, which works fine. The only advantage of the RPM installer is that it sets up links for Python and some SELinux stuff, but this may not be important on Ubuntu anyway.