To: ;
Subject: coulomb energy
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:11:58 +0600

Dear Modeller users,

I am working on two structures where the insides of the structure do not have access to water.
One structure contains a charged Lysine and a charged Glutamic acid residue facing each other, with distances favorable for electrostatic interactions.
The other contains a negatively charged residue only.
There are no other charges in either molecule, but there are a large number of Glutamines. The dielectric constant is set to 1.

Theoretically, the structure with two opposite charges should have a higher coulomb energy. However, this is not the case after optimization (the single charge has a higher energy value).

I would like to know if this is because:

1) I haven't used the coloumb energies properly?  (I used the following line in the optimization.py script to switch it on: "env.edat.dynamic_coulomb= True")

2) Modeller calculates the electrostatic energies in a different way to what I has excepting?

Thank you in advance for your reply,
Abdullah Ahmed