Re: [modeller_usage] coulomb energy

On 04/19/2010 03:11 AM, abdullah ahmed wrote:
I am working on two structures where the insides of the structure do not
have access to water.
One structure contains a charged Lysine and a charged Glutamic acid
residue facing each other, with distances favorable for electrostatic
interactions.
The other contains a negatively charged residue only.
There are no other charges in either molecule, but there are a large
number of Glutamines. The dielectric constant is set to 1.

Theoretically, the structure with two opposite charges should have a
higher coulomb energy. However, this is not the case after optimization
(the single charge has a higher energy value).

I would like to know if this is because:

1) I haven't used the coloumb energies properly? (I used the following
line in the optimization.py script to switch it on:
"env.edat.dynamic_coulomb= True")

That sounds fine. Note, however, that this will calculate electrostatic interactions for the whole protein, so a local favorable interaction may be canceled out by other interactions in the protein.

2) Modeller calculates the electrostatic energies in a different way to
what I has excepting?

It's plain old inverse square with a constant dielectric and a force switch. You might want to check the charges on your residues of interest, however - since we don't generally use electrostatics in comparative modeling the charges have not been exhaustively parameterized.