[modeller_usage] occupancy <1 in my models

Hi crew,
I obtained a model of a protein using Modeller 9v7. Looking at the resulting
PDB file, I saw that several atoms (in some cases the entire sidechain, in
other cases only one or two atoms) show an occupancy <1 (typically 0,5, but
also 0.3 in some cases). In the template, the corresponding residues show
two or sometimes three alternative conformations of their sidechains, with
occupancy <1, so I imagine that Modeller chose one of the conformations and
transferred directly the information about occupancy in the PDB file it
creates. My question is: what is the criterium that Modeller follows to
choose one alternative conformation? It simply chooses the first one, or are
there other criteria? And what about the fact that a single atom has an
occupancy <1 without any other alternative conformations? Could this be able
to perturb the protein behavior?

Many thanks and best regards
Anna

Anna Marabotti, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Institute of Food Science, CNR
Via Roma, 64
83100 Avellino (Italy)
Phone: +39 0825 299651
Fax: +39 0825 781585
Email:
Skype account: annam1972
Web page: http://bioinformatica.isa.cnr.it/anna/anna.htm

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a
mosquito"