Re: [modeller_usage] strategies for model refinement

I am aware that PyRosetta doesn't scale well with chain length but I'm not sure what you mean by "isn't useful for proteins with >200 residues". Is this the message in RosettaCommons forum where you got this information?

http://www.rosettacommons.org/node/2240

I use PyRosetta to relax proteins up to 850 aa long, it takes 5-6 days for each job on a 1.8GB processor, but the results are still impressive. IMO a good model wrt torsion angles, bond lengths and steric clashes is worth the time. For your protein length I would run 10 jobs and select the best model among them. In my experience more that 10 would be needless. Otherwise you can use an MD package which is much faster, but don't expect to be thrilled with the results.

With respect to loop refinement, this is the section that described the default optimization and refinement protocol:

http://www.salilab.org/modeller/manual/node19.html#SECTION:model-changeopt

Details about loop modelling can be found here:

http://www.salilab.org/modeller/manual/node452.html#SECTION:loopmethod

Have you also read this relatively recent message where I state which parameters I use to tweak?

http://salilab.org/archives/modeller_usage/2010/msg00383.html

I personally prefer to run loop modelling after model building so that I can keep the rest of the protein rigid, apply secondary structure restraints, distance restrains, etc. You can find an example script under modeller9v8/examples/automodel/loop.py that does loop modeling from an initial conformation.

This is what I had to suggest considering my 1 year experience with MODELLER and structure prediction in general. If anyone else disagrees or wishes to add something to my hints, please feel free to do so.

Thomas