Re: [modeller_usage] can salign output a "structural mapping" of residues

Thanks Ben, I think I ultimately got the full picture.

In fact, I was unsure about what residues were exactly used for the structural alignment. Putting things together and with your answer, I think now I understand :
Only pairs of residues that aligns in the sequence alignment are used for the feature computations/comparisons. More exactly, amongst these pairs only those whose residues are not too far away (under the rms cutoff) are actually considered in the score computation.
That being said, salign tries to modify the sequence alignment (hence, the pairs of residues that will be used in the score computation) in order to lower the structural alignment score.

Thus the resulting structural alignment somehow relies on a ("structurally optimized") sequence alignment.

    --Ben.S

That