Re: [modeller_usage] [Peptide Refinement] How to move R groups only?

On 5/20/11 10:20 PM, Ignacio Ibarra wrote:
Once the model.pdb file is created, I would like to make a refinement
without moving the protein (it should be fixed), and readjusting the R
groups of the short peptide *with no movement of the backbone*. I don't
want to modify the positions of the backbone at all.

Currently I'm using the following code (short version). This one creates
a model with no movement of the protein, but the short peptide is
displaced several angstroms.

That isn't surprising, because you are selecting all atoms in residues 618:D through 630:D (which is presumably your short peptide):

def select_loop_atoms(self):
    # 13 residue selection
    return selection(self.residue_range('618:D', '630:D'))

It's easy to select just the sidechain; use the only_sidechain() function:
http://salilab.org/modeller/9.9/manual/node229.html

For example, the following should do what you want:
def select_loop_atoms(self):
    return selection(self.residue_range('618:D',
                                        '630:D')).only_sidechain()