the alignment problem

Hi Modeller developers and friends,

in Sanchez and Sali 1997 Curr Opin Struct Biol 7:206-214
I read that a possible way to improve on homology modeling below 30 PID could
be "iterative changes in the alignment during caluclation"
My question is: Is this a great idea that has been realized already and I
 just missed where and how, is it work in progress or has it been discarded
 again due to technical problems?
Could one, alternatively, if only one template is availble, use this template
several times with different alignment variants (home-made version of
modeling on several templates, so to speak) so that different homology
derived restraints go into the same VTF, or is it, at present knowledge,
better to go for ensembles of models and then try to construct one or more
"best" consensus models?
Any and all information and ideas are much appreciated!
	margot

--
Dr. Margot Ernst
Abteilung Prof. Sieghart