Re: completing incomplete PDBs

Dear Christoph ,

  that N- or C-terminal residues are missing in PDB files issued from X-ray
crystallography is quite common:

These may be cleaved during the purification and crystallization procedure.
Note that the N- or C-terminals of genes are often modified in order to clone
the gene in some vector and then purify it by using for example six
additional His residues (Gateway) as a tag.

Another reason is that the N- and C-term residues often stick out of the
protein and have therefore a tendancy to be un-ordered in the crystal (thus
not visible).

If you now add these residues without aligning at to a know structural
template, Modeller will use a molecular dynamics approach to determine its
structure (loop modelling). So what you are actually doing with these
residues is some kind of ab-initio folding modelling.

Except if you think that these residues are absolutely essential for the
function of your protein, I would leave them out. One way to determine if
they are is to look at a multiple alignment of a larger set of close
sequential homologues, and to evaluate the conservation of these initial
residues.

You can do this online using T-COFFE on the following server:

http://igs-server.cnrs-mrs.fr/Tcoffee/

(look at the color code of the alignment score)

I hope this helps,

Kind regards, Karsten.