FW: Protein+Metal Ion?

------ Forwarded Message
From: Oliver Hucke <>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 10:00:39 +0100
To: Modeller Care <>
Subject: Re: Protein+Metal Ion?

Dear Marc,

you might define the subroutine 'special_restraints' at the end of your
top script introducing the bonds between the metal ligand atoms and the
metal atom in form of e.g. harmonic potentials. In my case the following
introduced 6 ligand-Fe bonds:

SUBROUTINE ROUTINE = 'special_restraints'
   SET ATOM_IDS 'NE2:501' 'FE2:1185'
   ADD_RESTRAINT RESTRAINT_PARAMETERS = 3 1 1 27 2 2 0 2.2 0.1
   SET ATOM_IDS 'NE2:541' 'FE2:1185'
   ADD_RESTRAINT RESTRAINT_PARAMETERS = 3 1 1 27 2 2 0 2.2 0.1
   SET ATOM_IDS 'NE2:815' 'FE2:1185'
   ADD_RESTRAINT RESTRAINT_PARAMETERS = 3 1 1 27 2 2 0 2.2 0.1
   SET ATOM_IDS 'NE2:862' 'FE2:1185'
   ADD_RESTRAINT RESTRAINT_PARAMETERS = 3 1 1 27 2 2 0 2.2 0.1
   SET ATOM_IDS 'OE1:830' 'FE2:1185'
   ADD_RESTRAINT RESTRAINT_PARAMETERS = 3 1 1 27 2 2 0 2.2 0.1
   SET ATOM_IDS 'OE2:830' 'FE2:1185'
   RETURN
END_SUBROUTINE

Note: the numbers of the residues correspond to the modeller numbering
scheme. You may get the correct numbers from an *.ini file.

Info on the meaning of the ADD_RESTRAINT lines can be found in the
chapter "specification of restraints" in the modeller manual

Hope this helps!
Best,

Oliver

> I would like to model a protein that contains Zn in the active site.  In =
> the template structure, two His residues are coordinated to the Zn.  The =
> target sequence also has these residues and the sequences display > 50% =
> identity.  How do I force the His residues to similarly coordinate the =
> Zn in the modelled structure?  If the Zn atom is in .pdb file, modeller =
> doesn't seem to notice.  Without the Zn atom present,  the His =
> sidechains simply flop around in the active site (not surprisingly).
>
> Marc Campitelli

Oliver Hucke
Inst. fuer Physikalische Chemie II
Universitaet Freiburg