Re: [modeller_usage] model refinement and assessment

Stephen A. Smith wrote:
In MODELLER 7v7 one was able to turn off model
refinement using:
SET MD_LEVEL = 'nothing'

I am curious if there is an analogous way to do this
in 8v0?  I've looked through the manual and examples
and have not found a solution.  Have I missed
something simple?

You just set it to the special Python value 'None', e.g.
a = automodel(...)
a.md_level = None

See http://salilab.org/modeller/manual/node35.html

Is there a way to implement the GA341 and DOPE methods
of analysis during the same model building session?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you want to use both GA341 and DOPE to assess automodel models, then you just set
assess_methods = (assess.GA341, assess.DOPE)
when you create the automodel object - i.e. you can pass a list of methods, not just a single one. See http://salilab.org/modeller/manual/node34.html

I'm also interested in using these analysis methods on
other protein models and templates.  Is there a quick
way to read these models into MODELLER and let it
analyze them?

You can analyze an arbitrary PDB file with something like the following:
env = environ()
m = model(env, file='foo.pdb')
score = m.assess_dope()

Replace assess_dope with assess_ga341 to use GA341 instead. (But read the note at http://salilab.org/modeller/manual/node153.html first; GA341 needs to know the sequence identity between model and template, which arbitrary PDB files may not have.)

DOPE is an unnormalized score, so it's best used within automodel to rank the generated models; scores for arbitrary PDBs are not generally comparable (just as with the Modeller scoring function).