Re: [modeller_usage] Incorrect Number or residues/Starting position

Kevin Galens (RIT Student) wrote:
I'm attempting to use modeller to use two templates to model on short sequence. I'm also creating the alignment file (PIR format) on my own and I'm having some troubles with one of my sequences. My alignment file is as follows:

 >P1;15c8
structure:15c8:1:H:217:H::::
EVQLQQSGAELVKPGASVKLSCTASGFNIKDTYMHWVKQKPEQGLEWIAQI
DPANGNTKYDPKFQGKATITADTSSNTAYLHLSSLTSEDSAVYY-----CA
ADPPYYG--------------HGDYWGQGTTLTVSSAKTTPPSVYPLAPGS
AAQTNSMVTLGCLVKGYFPEPVTVTWNSGSLSSGVHTFPAVLQSDLYTLSS
SVTVPSSTWPSETVTCNVAHPASSTKVDKKIV-----*
 >P1;1fns
structure:1fns:1:H:225:H::::
QVQLKESGPGLVAPSQSLSITCTVSGFSLTDYGVDWVRQPPGKGLEWLGMI
WGD-GSTDYNSALKSRLSITKDNSKSQVFLKMNSLQTDDTARYYCVRDP--
-------ADYGNYDYALDYWG------QGTSVTVSSAKTTPPSVYPLAPGS
AAQTNSMVTLGCLVKGYFPEPVTVTWNSGSLSSGVHTFPAVLQSDLYTLSS
SVTVPSSTWPSETVTCNVAHPASSTKVDKKIVPRDCG*
 >P1;1f11
sequence:1f11:1::15:::::
--------------------------------------------CANDY--
---GSTY--------GFAYWG------------------------------
-------------------------------------*

openf5__224_> Open       11  OLD  SEQUENTIAL  pdb1fns.ent
rdpdb___303E> No atoms were read from the specified input PDB file, since the
              starting residue number and/or chain id in MODEL_SEGMENT (or
              the alignment file header) was not found;
              requested starting position:  1: H
rdabrk__288W> Protein not accepted:        2
check_a_337E> Structure not read in:        2

I'm running version 8v1 on Fedora core 3. The best that I can decipher is that modeller can't understand the starting position. Or perhaps it can't find the chain. The pdb file has the same exact sequence (minus the gaps of course) and chain id H.

It can't find residue number '1' in chain 'H'. This isn't surprising, because PDB code 1fns has chain H numbered from 215 to 439. You should fix your alignment file.

Interestingly (or confusingly) I also tried replacing the residue start and end with the words 'FIRST' and 'LAST' leaving the chain H, thinking that Modeller could grab the chain without me telling it where to start and end explicitly. The end of the error file was as follows:
rdabrk__290E> Number of residues in the alignment and pdb files are different:
     225      220
              For alignment entry:        2
rdabrk__288W> Protein not accepted:        2
check_a_337E> Structure not read in:        2

Okay, so modeller thinks there are 220 residues in the pdb file? Is it looking at the right chain? The other chains in that file are length 217 and 195 (which isn't 220). It's looking at the correct file, who knows what chain it's going for.

There are 220 residues in chain H, since residues 352 through 356 were not located in the experiment (see the REMARK 465 lines). Since there is no structural information for these 5 residues, your alignment should probably have a gap of width 5 at that point.

Incidentally, there is a similar problem with your other structure (15c8); residues 131, 132, 155, and 158 through 161 are missing.