Re: [modeller_usage] Using an external program to calculate an element of the energy function

Lucas Bleicher wrote:
Let's call F(x) the Modeller objective function, which
is minimized during the simulated annealing procedure.
I'd like to use an alternative function to be
minimized, say:

F'(x) = F(x) + k.G(x)

where F(x) is the original function, k is an arbitrary
constant and G(x) is another function which can be
calculated by an external program, given an
intermediate model PDB file. Is there a way to
accomplish this without having to edit Modeller's
code? If so, how could I write a script to do this?

Unfortunately there is no way to do this with Modeller 8v1. We have, however, implemented such a feature in our development version of Modeller, and it'll be one of the features of the next public release.

Note that in order for such a function to be useful during optimization, your external program must also return the first derivatives of G with respect to the Cartesian coordinates.