Re: [modeller_usage] changes in MODELLER9 optimization & DNA denaturation

RYAN PAVLOVICZ wrote:
Hi.  I just upgraded from MODELLER8v2 to 9v1 and am experiencing
problems when modelling a protein-DNA complex in that the DNA is
denaturing after optimization.  When I use the same modelling script
in 8v2, the DNA stays in its double-helical form, even when i use
md_level= refine.very_slow.

Can anyone explain to me what changes in the optimizers were made
that cause this denaturation?  I am using the MODELLER residue types
ADE, GUA, CYT, and THY for the modelling.

No changes in the optimizers were made between 8v2 and 9v1 (only the way in which they are called is different). So that's probably not what's causing your problem. It may be caused by some difference in your input files (maybe you weren't selecting the DNA for optimization in 8v2). I would need to see those input files to figure out what your problem was.