Da: Anna Marabotti [">mailto:]
Inviato: lunedì 24 novembre 2008 13.47
A: 'Modeller Caretaker'
Oggetto: R: R: [modeller_usage] question for a (putative?) disulfide bridge

Dear Ben,
thank you for your continuous support.
I'm attaching here the pdb file of the model in which I would like to create the disulfide bridge, and the
scripts I used to do it. My knowledge of Python language is very very poor and so I'm doing a trial&error
procedure, but at present I obtain only errors...
If I understand well, I should only provide the PDB file to Modeller, since I don't see any request of
alignment. The sequence then should be read from the PDB file, right?
The PDB file I have attached is the one that I obtained using mutate_model: residue 55 was previously a Gly,
and now is a Cys in both subunits.So, the number of the residue should be correct.
I tried to model a disulfide bridge between Cys55 of the subunit A and Cys180 of the subunit B, and I tried:

1) model-patch_1.py (see attachment): here the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "model-patch_1.py", line 19, in ?
    mdl = complete_pdb(env, code, special_patches=patches)
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\scripts\complete_pdb.py", line
37, in complete_pdb
    special_patches(mdl)
  File "model-patch_1.py", line 15, in patches
    mdl.patch(residue_type='DISU', residues=(mdl.residues['55:'],
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\coordinates.py", line 226, in _
_getitem__
    (self.offset, self.length, self.suffix))
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\util\modutil.py", line 19, in h
andle_seq_indx
    int_indx = lookup_func(*args)
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\coordinates.py", line 283, in _
indxres
    raise KeyError("No such residue: %s" % indx)
KeyError: 'No such residue: 55:'

2) model-patch_2.py (see attachment): here the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "model-patch_2.py", line 19, in ?
    mdl = complete_pdb(env, code, special_patches=patches)
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\scripts\complete_pdb.py", line
37, in complete_pdb
    special_patches(mdl)
  File "model-patch_2.py", line 15, in patches
    mdl.patch(residue_type='DISU', residues=(mdl.residues['55:A'],
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\coordinates.py", line 226, in _
_getitem__
    (self.offset, self.length, self.suffix))
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\util\modutil.py", line 19, in h
andle_seq_indx
    int_indx = lookup_func(*args)
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\coordinates.py", line 283, in _
indxres
    raise KeyError("No such residue: %s" % indx)
KeyError: 'No such residue: 180:B'

3) model-patch_3.py (see attachment): here the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "model-patch_3.py", line 19, in ?
    mdl = complete_pdb(env, code, special_patches=patches)
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\scripts\complete_pdb.py", line
37, in complete_pdb
    special_patches(mdl)
  File "model-patch_3.py", line 15, in patches
    mdl.patch(residue_type='DISU', residues=(mdl.residues['A:55'],
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\coordinates.py", line 226, in _
_getitem__
    (self.offset, self.length, self.suffix))
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\util\modutil.py", line 19, in h
andle_seq_indx
    int_indx = lookup_func(*args)
  File "C:\Programmi\Modeller9v5\modlib\modeller\coordinates.py", line 283, in _
indxres
    raise KeyError("No such residue: %s" % indx)
KeyError: 'No such residue: A:55'

I also obtained the .log file, that I'm attaching here. I don't understand if there is only a problem in
identifying the numbers of the residues or there are other supplementary problems, anyway the disulfide bridge
is not forming, and I don't see any trivial error to correct.

Thank you for your help and best regards.
Anna Marabotti