[modeller_usage] question about salt bridge

Dear Ben,
I have a question about the possibility to introduce a restraint into a model. I obtained a model of a
protein, and looking at the structure I saw that an Arg residue lies in proximity of an Asp residue, but their
charged moieties are not positioned properly to infer a ion pair interaction between them. Since from other
experimental data I strongly suspect that this ion pair is present (but I am not 100% certain), I would like
to know if I can force somehow these two residues to interact each others, without disrupting the rest of the
model. The problem is not only on the side chain, because I cannot simply rotate it or use some programs like
SCWRL or so on to change the position of the side chains: also the backbone would be affected if such an ion
pair would be present. Therefore I would like to know if I can add some "soft" restraints, for example to
"ask" MODELLER: keep the charged moieties of Arg and Asp not farther than X A only if the backbone angles are
changing not more than Y degrees to do it.
Is there a way to do it?
Many thanks and best regards
Anna
Anna Marabotti, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Institute of Food Science, CNR
Via Roma 64
83100 Avellino (Italy)
Phone: +39 0825 299651
Fax: +39 0825 781585
Skype: annam1972
E-mail:
Web page: http://bioinformatica.isa.cnr.it/anna/anna.htm
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"