Re: [modeller_usage] Error: Ran out of slaves to run tasks

On 2/21/12 9:39 AM, Modeller Caretaker wrote:
On 02/21/2012 08:55 AM, Xiao-Ping Zhang wrote:
When I was refining loops for a model in parallel, I asked modeller to
generate 9999 models. But modeller stopped at 1245 with the following
error. The computer has six cores, modeller uses four of them. The other
two cores were free.
ValueError: Ran out of slaves to run tasks

This means exactly what it says: all of the slaves died, so it had
nowhere to run the loop model building tasks. Each slave generates its
own output file (look for files ending in .slave). Look in there to see
what the problem was with each slave.

To conclude: it turned out that each slave was running out of memory. This is actually caused by a memory leak in Modeller that only affects parallel loopmodel runs. A patch is available to fix the problem at http://salilab.org/modeller/wiki/Patches