Re: [modeller_usage] Refinement step questions

On 1/19/14 11:36 AM,  wrote:
  I am currently doing a homology modeling project, in which salt
bridges are important. Therefore I want to make the most out of the
refinement protocol

Typically modifying the refinement protocol doesn't buy you much. We generally recommend you build more models if you want better sampling.

My two questions are:
the molecular dynamics refinement returns the final structure from each
simulation, but I want it to return the ones with minimal energy
(md_return='MINIMAL'), how could I specify it in my script while still
using the standard automodel protocols (e.g. with md_level =
refine.slow).

You would have to define your own refinement function to do this. The simplest way would be to copy refine.py from modlib/modeller/automodel/ to myrefine.py, change FINAL to MINIMAL, then "import myrefine" and "a.md_level = myrefine.slow" in your script.

My other question is that how could I also specify in my
script to create a CHARMM trajectory of the automodel MD refinement
steps(I tried it with automodel.get_refine_actions(), but I failed to
define it properly because of my mentioned lack of python knowledge)?

Hard to say what you did wrong, since it isn't in your script, but something like the following should work:

from modeller.optimizers import actions

class mymodel(automodel):
    def get_refine_actions(self):
       # Get default set of actions
       act = automodel.get_refine_actions(self)
       # Add our own
       c = actions.charmm_trajectory(5, filename='traj.dcd')
       act.append(c)
       return act

You'll need a matching PSF of course:
http://salilab.org/modeller/9.12/manual/node267.html