problem with template selection using compare

Running v6.1 on RedHat7.2 on a PIII

Trying to use the following script for template selection:

READ_RESTYP_LIB RESTYP_LIB_FILE = '${MODINSTALL6v1}/modlib/restyp.lib'
READ_ALIGNMENT FILE = '${MODINSTALL6v1}/modlib/CHAINS_all.seq',;
	 ALIGN_CODES =  '1bmdA' '5mdhA' '7mdhA' 4mdhA
MALIGN
MALIGN3D
COMPARE
ID_TABLE
DENDROGRAM

but I get the error:

read_al_375E> Unknown residue type,position,sequence:          1        4
recover____E> ERROR_STATUS >= STOP_ON_ERROR:        1       1

I tried adding the first line of the script to force reading of the default
residue types (in case that was the problem), but it didn't help.

Any help much appreciated

Mike