Re: [modeller_usage] Fwd: homology-based secondary structure modelling

> > > field and i'm having trouble finding resources to obtain computer
> > > programs/software for homology-based secondary structure modelling.
> > > can you give me some advice on where i can obtain
> > > such software?  in specific, i'm hoping to be able to find a program
> > > that can model a rpotein
> > > whose primary structure is unknown.

MODELLER is certainly the right tool for what you are looking for.

  However, before you can use it, you need a good structural template to start
with, which may be difficult to find if your target protein has only low
sequence homology to structures that are available in the PDB

  I found the following two servers helpful for this task, and they may also
give you already an answer in what concerns your protein's secondary
structure:

  The Fugue search against the Homstrad database is quite useful and
informative:

http://www-cryst.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~fugue/prfsearch.html

  Then there is the more general meta-server at BIOINFO.PL which queries a
large number of threading servers (including Fugue):

http://bioinfo.pl/meta/

  But the output is much more extensive and thus more difficult to explore.

  I hope this helps, kind regards,

  Karsten Suhre, IGS-CNRS, Marseille, France.