Re: [Fwd: [modeller_usage] beta strand restriction]

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:59:34AM -0400, John Penniston wrote:
>    I  would  like  to  add  my  voice  to  John  Simms'.  In my hands the
>    restriction to an alpha helix works fine but the restriction to a beta
>    strand  doesn't  work  at all. Could we please have a response on this
>    from the Sali group? Thanks.

This problem comes up from time to time. The most likely explanation for
the lack of beta strand structure is that the imposed restraints are
simply not strong enough to overcome the homology-derived restraints -
if your templates don't have beta strand-like structure in the region,
you're unlikely to be able to force the model to take on that geometry.
However, it may be true that the code does not properly enforce the
restraints under some circumstances, and I am investigating.