[modeller_usage] randomize...why do it ??

hi,
   I was just wondering why it is required to randomize the coordinates of
initial model or may be rotate their dihedrals before running the
optimization routine (VTFM)... how would the results be affected if i
don't randomize??
   Actually, my resulting structure becomes worse if i randomize and then
optimize rather than directly optimizing. any suggestions??
   Secondly, I am not able to use rotate_dihedrals command somehow... it
gives an error. if anyone knows how to use it, please tell me what all
changes are required to be made before I use this command. The default
*.top files give an error at the call, if I just change RAND_METHOD =
randomize_dihedrals in __defs.top, and leave everything else as it is.
this is an abstract of my log file which shows the segment generating
error.

------------------**********-------------------------
 rotate__517_> Local optimization around  Phi
 setodih_515_> Residues,dihedral type,all-selected,optimized:      605
   2      604      574
 rotate__517_> Local optimization around  Psi
 chgidih_247E> Internal error:
 recover____E> ERROR_STATUS >= STOP_ON_ERROR:

is there anything that I am missing??

yours sincerely,