Re: [modeller_usage] Hard limits for size of sequence database

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:37:57 -0700
Modeller Caretaker <> wrote:

> > Input/Output Error 192: Record too large
>
> No, but there is a maximum size for a 'record', which translates to
> the line length. There appears to be no way round this in Fortran,

I should have remembered that :-)

> short of ditching formatted IO entirely. Modeller uses a maximum line
> length of 16384 characters, which I guess used to be 'long enough for
> everyone', but some of the NR database IDs end up being longer than
> this, if many corrections have been made.

I see - not something you notice with the way that ?blast truncates the
id line to three or so rows in its output. The perl script has been
written....

Thanks!

j.

Dr JB Procter:Biomolecular Modelling at ZBH - Center for Bioinformatics
Hamburg       http://www.zbh.uni-hamburg.de/staff.php