Re: [modeller_usage] determination of symmetry

rathankar rao wrote:
Iam in to modelling assignment of a zinc finger protein, which has nearly 6 zinc fingers The nearest template (1MEY) to it covers only 50% of the sequence length and has 3 fingers corresponding to 3 chains in the template. 1. i would like to know the method of representing the alignment in .ali file for chain breaks

Use the / character to represent a chain break in your alignment. See http://salilab.org/modeller/manual/node175.html

2. i modelled this in a different manner. I aligned the query with the template for only 50% of the sequence and assumed that these chains belong to different pdb files and hence modelled the query protein like what we do for a chimeric protein(without DNA chains). *Outcome: *i got a 3D Model which did not represent the actual template, since the coordinates of DNA was not incorporated in it. I dont know why DNA was not built and as a result, the protein appeared to be bent.

To model DNA is like modeling any other non-standard ligand; see http://salilab.org/modeller/FAQ.html#10