Re: [modeller_usage] what is the correct alignment

Dear Rudra,

in the context of homology modelling, the question you ask is "which residues
are structurally homologous to each other". This question cannot be answered
by a pairwise sequence comparison alone. You need to build a multiple
alignment using a series of homologues of your template as well as of your
target. If you are dealing with a mixture of sequences and structures,
T-Coffee is a good choice (see http://www.igs.cnrs-mrs.fr/Tcoffee/ for a
Web-Server). However, given the fact that you have 'B' residues in your
alignment, I gather that you are asking the more theoretical question of
whether a GAP should be inserted in the position you show or not. But again,
this question is best answered by looking at families of proteins rather than
at pairwise alignments alone. If you use multiple alignment programs (or
threaders) that use structure information in the process, these tools will
implicitly account for arguments such as "better do not insert a gap into a
secondary structure element".

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Karsten.