Re: Modelling Heme

It is possible to transfer the heme group from the template to the
target (model) using a "block" residue as suggested by Andras. But as
Christoph pointed out the heme residue type is defined in the Modeller
topology libraries, and the corresponding parameters are present in the
parameter libraries. So (in theory) all you need to know is how to
refer to the HEME residue in the alignment file. This you can figure
out by looking at Modeller's residue type library (restyp.lib) where
you will find the entry:

 31 | HEM                 | h | HEME | heme ligand

this tells you that Modeller uses 'h' as the one-letter code for the
HEME residue. Now all you need to do is add the 'h' residues in the
right places of your template and target sequences in the alignment,
add "SET HETATM_IO = on" to the TOP file, cross you fingers, and re-run
Modeller. If all is fine the heme group will appear in your model.

The difference between this approach and using a block residue is that
the block residue is treated as a rigid object that is just copied from
the template to the model, for example Modeller can not distort the
block residue and the rest of the protein does not "feel" its presence
beyond the protein - block residue distance restraints extracted from
the template. This limitation dissapears when defining the heme group
as a proper residue.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Roberto

--
Roberto Sanchez, Assistant Professor
Structural Biology Program, Department of Physiology & Biophysics and