Re: [modeller_usage] Regarding manual protein sequence alignment

Dear Rajesh,

before attacking an alignment by hand, I would try some more sophisticated
alignment programs, i.e. those that can include structure information.

T-Coffee can do this for example. The best protocol would be to include your
target sequence together with the templates and a number of homologues of
your target sequence and to use the 3DCoffee structure-sequence alignment
option:

http://igs-server.cnrs-mrs.fr/Tcoffee/tcoffee_cgi/index.cgi

Alternatively, I like very much the Fugue threader :

It only requires input of a sequence, and identifies template and homologuous
sequences itself:

http://www-cryst.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~fugue/prfsearch.html

Note that T-Coffee includes the Fugue threadder in its alignment process.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Karsten.

PS: should you REALLY want to align things by hand, try the seaview program
that comes with ClustalW.