Re: [modeller_usage] How to include alignment to model_symmetry_define()

 wrote:
I need to obtain loop conformation distributions in a tetramer structure. So I
used loopmodel() to redefine the 4 loops in each subunit. I found that the 4
loops in each tetramer is not symmetrical. I therefore applied
model_symmetry_define() in order to fix them the same during the optimisation.

If you want to do loop modeling with symmetry restraints, you would be better off overriding the special_restraints function in the loopmodel class, rather than trying to do the entire optimization by hand. See, for example, http://salilab.org/archives/modeller_usage/2005/msg00298.html

Also, what does aln.append_model(lop, align_codes='model-nam'+'_ini',
atom_files='tmp-nam'+'_ini') mean?

It adds the sequence of the model 'lop' to the alignment 'aln'. That sequence can then be refered to with the align code 'model-nam_ini', and if the structure corresponding to the sequence is required, Modeller will read it from the atom file 'tmp-nam_ini'.

The erro message by executing the above .py file is:
"_modeller.error: transfe_682E> Structural information is not available for all
sequences in the alignment. Aborting."

This means that Modeller was unable to read the structural information (i.e. atom coordinates) from the atom file. This is probably because you called it 'tmp-nam_ini'. You probably want to call it the same thing as your original PDB file, as in the example.